One of the most important things you can do in your garden is to add a sufficient layer of much around your plantings. This same importance applies to camellias. There are several benefits that result from proper mulching:
* Mulching helps to conserve moisture in the soil. An adequate layer of much helps to reduce evaporation and drying out of the soil around your camellias.
* Mulching helps to keep the temperature fluctuations more even. An adequate layer of mulch will help to keep the soil surface temperatures warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
* Mulching helps to prevent erosion. This is especially important where your camellias are planted on uneven surfaces. Raised plantings or plantings on the edge of an incline would benefit from mulch to prevent soil erosion.
* mulching helps to retain and filter water into the soil around your camellias. In heavy rainfalls, mulch minimize the runoff of the excessive water.
* Mulching can add organic nutrients to the soil as the mulch slow compost over time.
* Mulching with adequate layer can also reduce weed problems by providing a barrier between the soil and weed seeds that are naturally spread along the surface under your camellias.
Mulching can improve the overall appearance of your garden, so a nice looking much can make your camellia look even better.
There are many different materials that can be used for mulching. Organic materials such as tree bark, pine straw, leaves, wood chips, peanut hulls, and cypress shavings are just a few of the mulch that are commonly used. Generally, you want to have a mulch somewhere between 3-4 inches in depth. The exact amount of the mulch would depend up the selection, but having an adequate layer in important to maximize the benefits described above. It is also just as important to not have too much mulch around your camellias. Excessive mulch could reduce the oxygen supply to roots of your camellias if it is applied to thickly.
Mulching should be considered a part of your camellia gardening. Keeping your mulch at the proper level will make your camellia happy and healthy.